Monday, March 25, 2013

Mystery Insects

Andy | Monday, March 25, 2013 | Best Blogger Tips

I went for a hike in the forest and came across a sight I had never seen in the winter before. This caterpillar was making his way through the snow.

*****************************


I also spotted this bug making his trek across the snow. In fact there were quite a few theses creatures in the snow The ground was covered in snow and no vegetation had start to grow. Because of the lack of food and cold night time temperatures I don't expect either one to survive.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, hard time for bugs al around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many snow fleas at this time of year. they are active on the snow in bright sunshine. Check them out. You will have more to photograph. Most people never see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I've ever seen caterpillars out on the snow but I see the stonefly most years at this time. I posted about them a long while back..

    "Winter Stoneflies. Apparently they come out of the creek in the early spring sunshine, feed on vegetation, mate and lay their eggs back into the creek."

    Now you have me curious about the caterpillar but I suspect that it's something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I looked them up and I believe you right.

      Delete
  4. So fascinating to see, but poor little fellows. I feel for the few I've seen too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen two ants, but they were in the house, and very groggy. Got 'em easily.
    I feel sorry for your caterpillar, not so sure about the bug. LOL
    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least the caterpillar has got a fur coat on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is interesting. Never would have thought a caterpiller would be out and about on the snow.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive